Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sept 6, 2013

This week has been wonderful. Elder South and I are teaching like never before. Our unity has improved so much since we started studying the "Teaching Skills" section of PMG together. He is improving his simplicity and I am improving my ability to actually speak. The other day while we were teaching Brother Kim we had a really touching experience. We were talking about the Holy Ghost and it's role. I asked him what he had learned thus far through the Holy Ghost. His response was basically his testimony. It was such a tender and powerful experience to hear him testify that now he knew God was his father. That Christ was his savior. That the Book of Mormon was true and that this church is God's church. It was awesome. Korean study has been great. I'm focusing more on using up the little bits of time throughout the day to study vocab. It's hard though. Some days I knock out 25 words, someday I struggle to do 5. I've been studying ahead in the grammar book a ton. So at this point, I've already learned EVERYTHING they plan on teaching us in our basic grammar book. That's cool. So I'm working on starting the more advanced grammar books/practicing the grammar I already know. It's interesting. For me, it's super easy to learn the concepts and to apply them in practice sentences. But they just don't come to me when I'm trying to speak. So I need a ton more speaking practice. Yesterday I told Elder South that I was not going to speak any English outside of the cafeteria, and residence hall. It worked pretty well. We're basically supposed to be doing that all the time. But it's hard to remember. And speaking part korean, part english doesn't work because the grammar is backwards. So FULL korean it is! I'm striving to do that more. 

On Sunday, one of the native Koreans, here for 2 weeks, got up to bear his testimony. He said that as he watched us bearing us testimonies, it reminded him of the the little children who would get up in his old ward. We didn't say much, we didn't talk quite right, but he could feel, without a doubt, that we knew what we were saying was true. Though simple, these testimonies born from the humility of little children were incredibly powerful. 

It's awesome to constantly strive to be better. I set harder goals, and try to be more effective than I was the day before. I have so much to learn and so much to become, but I know I am on the right path. The spirit's guidance is amazingly clear. I love it. As we pray with faith and humility, we are directed as to how to best accomplish this work. 

I've also been reflecting on how well I was prepared for this. I feel that the Lord blessed me so much in my early life as he gave me the experiences needed to best prepare me to be a tool in his hands. I think back on some of the experiences I've had: camp staff, pageant, marathon, TJ, leadership callings, SMOB, moving around so much, etc. I was shaped and molded for missionary work. So many of the talents and characteristic that I have been blessed with are optimized for missionary work. It's as if I was born and raised specifically for this. In a sense, I was. How blessed I am. But with this in mind, I feel a heavy responsibility. Where much is given, so much is required. I feel deeply the urgency to learn Korean so I can apply more of my abilities. But the ability to love and to make other feel loved spans the language gap. I love this work and I feel so blessed to be a part of this grand missionary force.  

As I've been rereading the beginning of this Book Of Mormon, I've been really impressed with Nephi. For him, the commandments are black and white. We follow them. That's just what we do. The Lord commands, we obey. You see it throughout this writings. And he cites the Lord's commandments without exception every few verses. Read the first 8 chapters or so and you will see. He was amazingly blessed for doing so. So also are we amazingly blessed for doing so. Just read a John 14:21,23,27 (Thats just off the top of my head so i might be a little off.) We obey because we love God. As we love him, he will love us. He will come to us. He will make his abode with us. And we will receive his peace. NOt the worldly imitations of peace or happiness, but the real long lasting kind of infinite joy and serenity that comes honly from him. Love it. 

Thanks for your prayers. I pray for you always. 

Elder Rosenberg.





No comments:

Post a Comment