Monday, July 28, 2014

I kick when I don't want to kick

July 28,  2014

"I kick when I don't want to kick, I stroke when I don't want to
stroke." --Advice from Elder Holland on how to be a swimming champion.

Elder Sullivan felt prompted to take a different way home the other
night, and we met this sweet chinese guy. He didn't speak very much
korean, and even less english. I pulled out a couple of badly
pronounced lines of mandarin, and he LOVED it. But then he went into
fluent mode. And I don't speak chinese.......

We dropped some investigators, watched almost every lesson fall
through, and got another baptismal date! WOHOO! He joined catholic to
learn about Jesus Christ, but then didn't find what he was looking
for. Reading some Book of Mormon verses together on Christ (Alma
7:11-13) blew his mind. Yes, this is what he's looking for.

In our mission, if someone doesn't show up for lesson, we call it
"getting punked." And we usually meet at Dunkin Doughnuts. This week
every single lesson there fell though, and Elder Sullivan's genius
created "Punkin Doughnuts." Ahhhhh we laughed for ages. Missionary
humor. It's the little things that keep you going.

Everything we experience gives us an opportunity to apply the
teachings of Jesus Christ. As living things, like plants and animals,
we all experience stimuli. But unlike plants and animals, we have a
period between stimulus and response, wherein we can choose our
reaction. In that moment we find humanity. In that moment, we choose
whether to apply the teachings of Christ or not, to follow the natural
man or Him.

My old ward mission leader, from my greenie area, 김홍민 came to church
this week! His family was visiting. AHhh so nice to see them. I really
love that family. It's the relationships that we form that bring us
the greatest joy. Aren't they cute?

I approach my year mark, my halfway point of the mission, this week.
AHHHH. But it's a good time for reflection. I've come to realize two
major things:

1) I actually am starting to feel like a missionary! It's taken a
year, but I"m just starting to get there.
Deeper thoughts on that next week. But in the words of Elder CS Lewis,
"I did not come to frustrate the natural man, I came to kill it. I
don't want to prune a few branches, I want the whole thing OUT."

2)I LOVE these people. My people. I loved them when I first got here,
but....it's just different now. Now I really love them. And I expect
to love them even more. AHHHH. Such a wonderful culture, a beautiful
people, a wonderful language. yup. It's love.
So we decided to make brownies to make for a lessactive/member.
Korean cooking directions are super difficult to understand, for multiple reasons, one of which being that I don't know any of the strange cooking words. We'd made brownies before, and it had us heat up water in the microwave. And this package said something with a microwave too. So I tossed the bowl full of batter in, and thought "hmm 4 minutes seems like a long time...." then left the room to go make calls. I thought the directions seemed a little strange so I rechecked the package. "Microwave Brownies." I run back to the microwave, but it's too late. There's just a big bowl of unevenly cooked brownie-ish stuff. So in my desperate attempts to salvage it, I decided to spoon out the brownie stuff into cupcake tins, then just pretend we made brownie cupcakes. YUP. It worked. The family loved them. An we ate the crusty parts out of the bowl with a spoon. 

D&C90:24 "be believing, and all things shall work together for your good" 
Just another day in paradise.


LOVE YOU ALL! The Book of Mormon is true, Jesus is the Christ, and God
still speaks to men today. If you know that, you're good to go. Do you
have a burning testimony? Or is it burnt? Strengthen it. Share it.
Treasure it.

1 comment:

  1. Has it been a year already??? I really enjoy your posts :D

    ReplyDelete