Monday, October 20, 2014

Fermented Soybean Paste. YUM

October 20,  2014

I've included a picture of our latest culinary masterpiece.  Basically
tofu, stringy mushrooms, and such in a soup of fermented soybean
paste. It's a popular dish and we did it justice. SOOO good.

Life is good! I've got a great companion, Elder Lee is a champ. We
have fun and do work!

I called a member this week and the grandma answered. Apparently she
was convinced that I was one of the sister missionaries with a sore
throat. Ouch. The worst part.....it happened the second time I called
too.

Our brothers Jing and brotherbrother are doing well. Progressing, but
with challenges. We're working through it though. Found a couple of
new investigators this week. One had been in and out of prison and
says he needs church to keep him from killing people. Good potential.

Our phone has been having a lot of challenges. And doing missionary
work with no way to contact anyone is hard. Like trying to go fishing
with no bucket to put the fish you catch in. But the miracles have
poured in. The phone won't work for the entire day, then will suddenly
be functional for the hour we spend making calls to potential
investigators. Multiple days in a row. SUCH a blessing. The Lord truly
moves this work forward.

I've been thinking a lot about gift giving the past few days. I read a
talk by Pres Eyring about the 3 principles of true gift giving. 1)See
another's need and feel moved(ie compassion) 2) give freely, without
expect repayment 3) consider that sacrifice a joy.

Sunday morning on the way out the door, I felt prompted to grab 2 hard
candies to bring to church. Weird. Then in the middle of sacrament
meeting, an old woman showed up and sat next to me. She was dressed in
worn and dirty working clothes, and smelled very distinctly of
camping. But we sang and prayed together and had a great time.
Suddenly I remembered the hard candies. I pulled them out, one for me,
one for her. She smiled appreciatively and that was that. I'm not sure
how much it meant to her, but it meant SO much to me. The Lord gave me
an opportunity to feel compassion, give freely, and consider it a joy.

The Savior gave us the greatest gift. I try to show my appreciation by
sharing that gift with others. Everyday we see people who need it, are
moved with compassion, and reach out in love. We don't expect
compensation. And we consider this sacrifice an incredible blessing.

Love you all!
Elder Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment